Thursday, October 1, 2009

falling apart...

About a month ago, I started taking the medicine Accutane. I took this before, in high school, but only had mild side effects, like dry skin and chapped lips. It was manageable. This time around, besides the dry skin and chapped lips, I have also had joint and back pain. Sometimes I feel like I'm 70 years old! The pain comes and goes, but is anywhere from moderate to severe. When I was at work this past Sunday, I literally almost couldn't walk because my feet/ankles were hurting so much. I can't get comfortable at night in bed, because either my back or ribs or feet are hurting whenever I change positions. I only have five more months left on the medicine, so hopefully the side effects won't get any worse and it will be worth it!

On Tuesday, I went to the doctor because I have a small lump on the bottom of my jawline on one side. It has been here for a couple of weeks and is somewhat painful. I thought it might be a cyst, but it turns out I either have an infected salivary gland OR I have a stone in one of my salivary glands. I didn't even know that could happen! The doctor prescribed me an antibiotic to take for a week, which will take care of the problem if it is an infection. If not, I have to see an ENT doctor to open up the gland for the stone to pass. It's so weird! Hopefully, it is just an infection and the medicine will get rid of it.

Besides my body falling apart, I have had a pretty productive week. I'm ahead on most of my school assignments, and my grades are looking good. Semester is almost halfway through, and I'm so glad! =)

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your problems with Acutane. I've had friends who took it, but I didn't know it could have that bad of a side effect. I hope you feel better soon.

    I'm glad though that your semester is going great; mine is as well! I thought taking 21 hours was going to burn me out, but I some how have more energy to do my homework when there is so much...weird, I know, lol. See ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Christie,

    I'm sorry you're not feeling well; prayerfully your side-effects won't last much longer. Congrats on your productivity and grades thus far, I wish I could say the same. LOL Things for me are going to have to get back on track, and SOON! Being sick last week REALLY messed me up!

    Feel better soon,
    Kourtney Washington

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you have not been feeling well! I wish I could say that I am ahead on all of my assignments. This semester I have done worse than ever with procrastinating. I need to get a little better at that and stay on top of things. And I can't wait until we are done too. It is going by rather quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christie, I am sorry that you are having such problems being on Acutane. My wife had a friend on it and she became pregnant while taking it. Her doctor told her that it would not be a question of if her baby would have birth defects, but how serious they would be. She aborted the baby. I am glad the semester is almost over too. I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christie, I am also sorry that you are not feeling well. If anyone understands exactly how you feel, it is me!

    I took Accutane for 8 months I think. I haven't been off of them a year yet.
    Other than these bodily pains you are having, watch out for moodiness, depression, and suicide thoughts. I became very moody and depressed; I cried sometimes for no reason. The way I felt was horrible, and I couldn't wait to get off of the medicine.

    The end result, besides the acne scars left behind, is totally worth it. 10 months later, and I HARDLY get a pimple. By the way, I'm shocked you have had to take it twice. Normally, people who have taken it don't break out again.

    Nivine A. Eng226

    ReplyDelete